This week’s From the Heart author is Tim Horner, Head of School.
Dear Academy Families and Friends,
This year, I think I was more excited and anxious for the first day of school than any of our students. With a whirlwind of activity, the day progressed quickly and left me appreciating the culture of our school.
I define culture as a self-perpetuating manifestation of the community. Faculty and students determine culture, illustrated and reinforced as much in the small, unseen moments as the large experiences of traditions:
- A student exiting their car with haste for a prolonged hug with their teacher
- A teacher escorting an anxious student to their classroom on the first day of school
- A returning student greeting a new student at their car and walking them to their classroom
- A student greeting a faculty member in the hallway and offering to help carry what the faculty member holds
- Seventh Class students warmly inviting me into their four square game
- A student defining the Academy as home
I am proud of our Academy culture. For this reason, future issues of Thursday Mail will include many voices – students, parents, faculty, staff, Trustees and alums. I know you will enjoy hearing the words of those that exemplify our community!
In partnership with you for the sake of this extraordinary school,
— Tim Horner