The Academy of the Sacred Heart, a member of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools, is a Catholic, independent coeducational school for children ages 3 through Grade 8 located in historic Saint Charles, MO. Drawing from the strength of the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education, the Academy endeavors to educate and inspire the heart and mind of each child to become a courageous and confident leader who knows and loves God, and who reveals that love by serving others.Why a career at the Academy?
Some of the Academy’s benefits:
- Medical (Academy pays 60% of employee only coverage)
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO (Standard Plan)
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO (Premier Plan)
- Dental & Vision (Academy pays 60% of employee only coverage)
- Life/AD&D/Long Term Disability
- $50,000 life insurance policy
- $50,000 AD&D policy
- Long term disability coverage
- Tuition Remission
- Continuing Education
- Employer contribution – 5% of W-2 earnings (no employee contribution required)
- Auto contributions available
- Annual retirement education meetings
- Personal/Sick/Vacation days
- Dependent on faculty/staff position and varies based on number of years of service
Academy of the Sacred Heart provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to their age, color, disability status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion, sex, veteran status, or any other class protected by state or federal law. As a Catholic school in the Sacred Heart tradition, Academy of the Sacred Heart reserves the right to use religion as a hiring criterion for selected positions, as permitted by law. Employment offers are contingent on the satisfactory outcome of a standard background screening.
Principal — The Academy of the Sacred Heart, Saint Charles MO
The Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles, MO (The Academy) seeks a forward-thinking, student focused, thoughtful, and energetic Principal. The position will begin in July 2024. The Principal will join The Academy as it completes a new Strategic Plan and bold vision for the future.
The Principal’s job at the Academy of the Sacred Heart allows for direct interaction with students, faculty, and parents. The growth of each student, the support for and collaboration with each teacher, and the partnership with every parent is necessary to live the mission of Sacred Heart education.
The Principal is a member of the senior leadership team and reports directly to the Head of School.
Educating and inspiring young people for over 200 years, the Academy of the Sacred Heart claims a rich history of love and learning. Founded in 1818 by St. Rose Philippine Duchesne, the Academy was the first Sacred Heart school outside of France and the first of many in the United States and beyond.
Today we are an independent Catholic elementary and middle school, united with Schools of the Sacred Heart around the world in a philosophy of education that is expressed in five goals.
We look to the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education, which give purpose to our objectives, a framework for our educational philosophy, and inspiration for all that we do. As a Sacred Heart School, we are guided by deep-rooted values that unite us with the Network of Sacred Heart Schools in the United States and Canada and with 139 schools of the Sacred Heart around the world.
The primary responsibilities are:
- Leadership of academic policies/curriculum in the articulation of the school mission, school goals, department goals, course objectives, materials, methods, and means of assessment.
- Maintain congruency between the school’s vision and mission statements and all activities of the academic program.
- Successful implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Act as the educational leader of the academic program, responsible for its day-to-day operation.
- Function as the chief articulator of the programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed in keeping with their individual roles.
- Be a visible presence in all areas of the school.
- Be responsible for the evaluation and planning of curriculum, including periodic department reviews and review of teacher/grade assignments.
- Preparing long range academic curriculum plans.
- Review and evaluate the academic programs, including horizontal and vertical curricular flow.
In recognition of the central role of relationships in the Sacred Heart philosophy, the Principal will:
- Foster authentic relationships with students, faculty and parents.
- Be aware of the educational, physical, social, and psychological needs of the school community, and develop plans for meeting those needs.
- Maintain healthy partnerships and communication with parents.
- Build a sense of community among faculty through a positive learning environment consistent with the school’s philosophy.
- Bachelors in Elementary Education
- Master’s in Educational Leadership preferred
- Five plus years of teaching in a Catholic, elementary school
- Experience in a Sacred Heart school is preferred, but not required
Application materials, process and timeline:
Complete the online application on the Academy website’s Employment Opportunities page. In addition, submit the following materials under the “Additional Materials” box within the application. Letters may be addressed to Mr. Timothy Horner, Head of School. Deadline for applications is October 31, 2023.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or CV
- Statement of Educational Philosophy
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Answers to the following writing prompts:
- What is your approach or philosophy of student discipline?
- What does modern day learning look like to you?
- Explain a process in which you led a group based on an inclusive and collaborative approach.
Substitute Teacher — Academy of the Sacred Heart, Saint Charles MO
The Academy of the Sacred Heart, an independent, private, Catholic school in Saint Charles, MO, invites applications for a Substitute Teacher in Primary School, Lower School, and Middle School. Ideal candidates should have a minimum of 60 semester hours from an accredited college or university and a strong desire to work with children. Substitute pay is $100 for a full day.
Rooted in the spirituality of the Society of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (RSCJ) and in the evolving tradition of the Roman Catholic Church, the Academy continues to embrace an educational approach that values the integration of the physical, cognitive, emotional, and spiritual dimensions of our students. From this perspective,
We educate and inspire the heart and mind of each child to become a courageous and confident leader who knows and loves God and who reveals that love by serving others.
Once hired, Academy faculty members are expected to familiarize themselves with and live the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education.
Other Professional Expectations:
- Demonstrate a sincere passion for working with students
- Maintain a well-managed classroom and positive learning environment
- Follow teacher’s lesson plans in a way that ensures consistency and optimal learning
- Assign classwork and homework in full accordance of lesson plans
- Use a variety of teaching strategies to fit the learning styles of various students and grade levels
- Supervise students in the classroom, hallways, cafeteria, playground/break and during dismissal
- Possess the ability to inspire students to learn
- Utilize and integrate technology to enhance teaching and learning
- Communicate effectively with colleagues
- Possess the ability to inspire students to be in relationship with God and grow in their life of prayer
- Motivate students to live lives consistent with their values and beliefs
- Demonstrate competence in, or desire to grow in, the charism of the Society of the Sacred Heart
Please send a letter stating personal interest in this faculty position and a resume to:
Mrs. Julie Saville
Accounting Supervisor/Human Resources
619 N. Second Street
Saint Charles, MO 63301
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER