Happy Founder’s Day to our Academy of the Sacred Heart families, alumni and friends!
In 1818 Philippine Duchesne, along with four other Religious of the Sacred Heart, endured a long and difficult journey from Paris to New Orleans to St. Louis, then on to the tiny frontier town of St. Charles. Here, on September 14, 1818, the “first free school west of the Mississippi” opened in a primitive log cabin, fondly referred to as the Duquette Mansion.
From our school in St. Charles (later in Florissant), other foundations were made and there are now 25 schools in the Network of Sacred Heart Schools in the U.S. and Canada. The school that began humbly so long ago is educating children 204 years later!
On the anniversary of the Academy’s founding, we celebrate and honor the legacy of St. Rose Philippine Duchesne – to educate and inspire the heart and mind of each child. We are grateful to our Academy community of current families, faculty and staff, RSCJ, Board of Trustees, alumni, parents of alumni and friends who help us each and every day to live out the mission of Sacred Heart education.