Five Academy students were among the finalists in this year’s Picture the Music competition sponsored by the Saint Louis Symphony Volunteer Association.
More than 12,000 students from 67 schools participated, 432 submissions were reviewed, and 100 finalists honored at a special awards ceremony at Powell Hall.
- Isla Boettler received the Symphony Award for Best of First Grade art.
- Abby Maroney, Third Class, and Anna Klakovich, Fifth Class, received Blue Ribbons.
- Ava Miller and Katherine Gaylord, Fifth Class, received Honorable Mention.
Academy art teacher Karen Kozlen commented, “I was so proud of these five. They make the Academy shine!”
Picture the Music invites children in grades K-6 to discover orchestral music and respond with paintings and drawings that express creative thought and emotion. The 2018 contest invited students to consider the Olympics theme. The Picture the Music exhibit is touring the metropolitan area as follows:
- Through March 12: St. Peters Cultural Arts Center
- March 12-19: St. Louis Public Library – Schlafly Branch
- March 19-April 4: The Magic House
- April 4-16: Plaza Frontenac