- Pre-Order Two Hundred Years: A Legacy of Love and Learning, a history of the Academy of the Sacred Heart written by Jane Shannon Cannon
The year 2018 will mark the 200th anniversary of Philippine Duchesne’s journey from France to the New World and her establishment of the Academy of the Sacred Heart. It will likewise mark the bicentennial of the Society of the Sacred Heart’s missionary endeavors, the beginning of Sacred Heart education in America and beyond, Catholic education in the Archdiocese of St. Louis, and formalized education in St. Charles, Missouri.
There will be much to celebrate! Plans are being made not only by the Academy but by the Society, the Archdiocese, and the City of St. Charles. Here is a summary, to date:
- APRIL 18–20, 2017 The 2017 Convention & Expo of the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) at The America’s Center
- APRIL 29, 2017 Archivist Theresa Grass and Sister Margaret Munch will present “The School on North Second Street: The Academy of the Sacred Heart in St. Charles History” at the St. Charles County Historical Society quarterly luncheon meeting
- JUNE 23, 2017 Feast of the Sacred Heart; celebratory year begins
- JULY 12–16, 2017 Sacred Heart Spirituality Forum at St. Louis University
- JULY 17–18, 2017 Pilgrimage to Sugar Creek, Kansas
- SEPT. 16, 2017 Home to the Heart celebration at the Academy
- NOV. 2017 Web-based Year of Prayer begins, with weekly postings and interactive dialogue possibilities. A PDF journal will be designed and available for download and individual use.
- DEC. 1–3, 2017 Bicentennial wine pick-up at the Academy of the Sacred Heart
- JULY 19, 2018 Missouri History Museum presentation
- JULY 19–22, 2018 Frontiers Conference
- SEPT. 7, 2018 Celebration and Reenactment of Philippine’s arrival on St. Charles riverfront, presented by the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Duchesne High School
- SEPT. 14, 2018 Mass at the Academy celebrated by Bishop Robert Carlson
- SEPT. 15, 2018 Global Day of Service with Sacred Heart schools around the world
- NOV. 18, 2018 A newly commissioned Mass of Philippine in three languages with a Potawatomi Amen will be premiered on St. Rose Philippine Duchesne’s Feast Day in the St. Louis Basilica, and will be used by the Society around the world to celebrate her feast.
For further information about plans to celebrate 200 years of Sacred Heart in America, visit the RSCJ Bicentennial website.